5 reasons why I loved (500) Days of Summer
currently: not wanting to do my essay. ARGH.
So here is 5 simple reasons why people should rent out (500) Days of Summer
(cause to write 500 reasons would be ridiculous)
1. Joseph Gordon-Levvit and Zooey Deschanel are AMAZING - In fact, I think if I wanted to look like anyone, I'd want to look like Zooey Deschanel. She's so adorable and gorgeous, and is a classier looking version of Katy Perry.
2. The dance sequence - who knew the dorky kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun could crack out a decent dance (which doesn't look like my drunk uncle on a dancefloor)
And if you don't think his dancing is good there, this promotional video titled "The Bank Heist" (the song "Why do you let me stay here?" by She & Him) with Zooey Deschanel must be at least amazing.
3. The music in the movie - One of my favourite Smiths songs "There is a Light that Never Goes Out", The She and Him music, Temper Traps "Sweet Disposition" - all amazing songs. And when Tom and Summer are fantastic singers in the kareoke bar scenes.
4. The comedy - there are so many scenes in this movie that are so fantastic. The scene in the Ikea store: "Darling. I don't know how to tell you this, but there's a Chinese family in our bathroom"; the blind date in the coffee store "its like she took a giant s*** on my face. Literally. 'literally?' No, not literally, that's disgusting." Plus the imfamous scene in the park "I have Tourettes. She has Tourettes too. You know how it is." The moments like that really make this film.
5. The fact it isn't a romance movie - from the beginning, you're told "this is not a love story, this is a story about love." I'm not a big fan of romance films, just cause they seem to follow the similar predictable format. But with this film, though you're told in the beginning how the story pans out, it is not predictable. The non-linear narrative allows the film to contrast the different points of the relationship, really making it an emotional rollercoaster. And the events that happen are relatable, but not expected. Because this is no ordinary "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets back girl" format, it really is refreshing to watch.
Now writing all those reasons makes me want to watch the film all over again.
I really suggest watching the film if you haven't. And if anyone can give me a copy for Christmas, that would be sweet too :P